FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Freetrack doesnt work in Armed Assault 2!!

RSS >  Freetrack doesnt work in Armed Assault 2!!
Bushlurker #31 29/06/2009 - 16h42

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 15/04/2009

Off line

they just want us to shut up and go away... and by continually zero'ing discussion, or even mention, on their forums then, for the majority of people - we HAVE gone away.....

On a totally seperate note.....

I may be talking entirely out of my a** here :), but I seem to remember reading that somewhere inside the DirectX SDK or API or something, there was basic headtracking API capability.....
I'm not sure if it was Kegetys or someone else who mentioned it... could be... he's just an utter genius with DirectX...

Does anybody know anything about it??

I'm guessing ultra-wildly here but if there were an API usable for tracking then we could nag BIS to implement that - as a non vendor-specific solution... Then they can't pull the actively and specifically anti-freetrack crap anymore...

Then all we'd need to do was get Freetrack adapted to "read" those values....

Just another idea, coz, sadly... it looks extremely unlikely we're gonna get the freetrack API installed..... I just thought that the BIS Devs might have a harder time explaining why they dont want to implement an aspect of DirectX since it's basically already in the game
(and it would be amusing to hear their excuses for shutting down a DirectX discussion thread on their forums)  :D

Anybody knowledgable here know if its a viable idea or if I'm just talkin crap as usual???

B
Edited by Bushlurker on 29/06/2009 at 17h14.
Arrowhead #32 29/06/2009 - 17h33

Registered on : 30/04/2008

Off line

Atleast they gave us some kind of response, even if it wasn't exactly what we were hoping to hear. But I have to tell you, I am pretty miffed that they decided to close all discussion on the matter AGAIN this morning just when we began to have a seemingly open line of communication.  :angry:  :angry:

I also take issue with what Suma says about FT not having the user numbers. If that is the case, then why did NP feel threatened enough to go through the trouble of encrypting their hardware in an attempt to KILL the FT community? I think it's clear that FreeTrack has a good sized userbase. I also think it's clear that supporting small-time software interfaces like FreeTrack would only generate further sales for their game, not to mention it would be a real stand up thing to do to support this segment of their community. I hardly think it would be that big of a chore to implement some rudimentry support. Just seems like a pitiful excuse not to implement it.

I used to truly think BIS was different, but everyday I begin to see that their egos are getting too big with their success.

Oh and check out my profile on the BIS forums. You'll see an interesting name caught snooping around my profile.

Posted Image

Interesting to see NP keeping such a close eye on someone from such an 'insignificantly sized' community such as us.  ;D
Edited by Arrowhead on 29/06/2009 at 17h51.
Peacekeeper #33 29/06/2009 - 20h38

Registered on : 29/05/2009

Off line

Arrowhead @ 29/06/2009 - 19h33 a dit:

Interesting to see NP keeping such a close eye on someone from such an 'insignificantly sized' community such as us.  ;D

lol around 2500 members only in this forum and i think there are much much more people outside with freetrack that are not registrated here. All possible arma 2 players....
Bushlurker #34 29/06/2009 - 21h55

Off line

good point peacekeeper.....

couldn't we organise some sort of poll or petition outwith the BIS forums? - get a coupla thousand signatures and send it direct to BIS... show them how big their "tiny percentage of a tiny percentage" is.....

B
Arrowhead #35 30/06/2009 - 01h11

Off line

Bushlurker @ 29/06/2009 - 23h55 a dit:

good point peacekeeper.....

couldn't we organise some sort of poll or petition outwith the BIS forums? - get a coupla thousand signatures and send it direct to BIS... show them how big their "tiny percentage of a tiny percentage" is.....

B

Kind of hard when they find any little excuse to close every single thread made about FreeTrack right now. I've lost hope in BIS. I'd be shocked if they changed their position at this point. Really looks like they were reaching for excuses not to support FreeTrack, but are too embarrased to admit that they are atleast under pressure to only support NP. I mean they've got NP guys skulking around FreeTrack threads on their very own forums. Sad situation for us.

Anyways, it's seriously time to focus on finding our own way.
Edited by Arrowhead on 30/06/2009 at 01h14.
Bushlurker #36 30/06/2009 - 01h43

Off line

I've seen it mentioned on the BIS TrackIR forum that NP "work closely" with BIS and get "special consideration"...

I can believe it... have you seen the review Marek gives Dyslexi's largely derivitive and wildly overpriced "clan handbook" ???

however....

Arrowhead @ 30/06/2009 - 03h11 a dit:

Anyways, it's seriously time to focus on finding our own way.

wild ideas....

A crack that decodes the TrackIR output and therefore doesnt require modifying the arma2.exe

Find an updated version of a ppJoy type program that works better

Somehow hook in to Arma2's built in 360 controller support...

Remember - every word we say here will be read by Naturalpoint and passed on to BIS..... :D

B
Edited by Bushlurker on 30/06/2009 at 01h44.
NaturalPoint_Vincent #37 30/06/2009 - 06h03

Registered on : 30/06/2009

Off line

:fear:
SquidgyB #38 30/06/2009 - 07h13

Registered on : 08/07/2008

Off line

NaturalPoint_Vincent @ 30/06/2009 - 08h03 a dit:

Comedy.

Care to comment on proceedings Vincent?

I was under the impression that there are laws to stop companies from tying up the market in their own favour by using exclusivity deals like with Black Shark, and possibly ARMA2...
Arrowhead #39 30/06/2009 - 07h32

Off line

NaturalPoint_Vincent @ 30/06/2009 - 08h03 a dit:

Why don't you do something useful instead of picking on us little guys?  :o

You know, if you ever considered developing software that works with my homebuilt hardware, I'd consider giving you guys my credit card number for that if its at a reasonable price. Trying to shut us out completely from enjoying our hobby will only make things get ugly.

Nobody WANTS to hack anything, but we're getting desperate here.
Edited by Arrowhead on 30/06/2009 at 07h32.
Bushlurker #40 30/06/2009 - 07h59

Off line

Told ya....
Spkka #41 30/06/2009 - 16h04

Off line

Man, bought arma 2 yesterday on its EU release and i was so excited about head tracking that i wanted to give it a go. Since the trackIR is the only device possible and costs 200 euro! ( rip-off ) i decided to use freetrack and build my own. I have a full time job and can easily afford the trackIR but 200 euro is just insane.
I am really disappointed by the fact that the threads like http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76698&page=3 get closed.
I really hope there is some fix soon to make it work or i bought a 30 euro webcam for nothing.
Edited by Spkka on 30/06/2009 at 16h04.
Bushlurker #42 30/06/2009 - 16h27

Off line

Hi Spkka! - welcome to the crowd!

Why Don't you complain - directly...

Heres the contact details...

BOHEMIA INTERACTIVE STUDIO s.r.o.
     Marek Spanel
     Naskove 3
     Prague 5,   15000
     CZ
     Phone: + 420 2 57189522
     Email: @bistudio.com

Suma...

TrackIR installed base seems to be a lot larger that FreeTrack has, which is why we have built in support for TrackIR but not for FreeTrack. Once there will be more FreeTrack users, we can reconsider the support again.

... they want numbers - give them numbers...
Edited by Bushlurker on 30/06/2009 at 16h30.
Spkka #43 30/06/2009 - 17h53

Off line

Hey, thanks will do for sure :)
Its a shame they had support for part 1 but not for 2. Anyways it are potential players for them so i don't see the hassle.
Im am at work so im a bit in a rush. I'll get back on this topic a little later.
desertowl #44 30/06/2009 - 19h59

Registered on : 06/12/2008

Off line

Another soldier checking in!

It's a real shame... I say, Don't let the system get you down!
If there is any plausible solution - a poll, petition or something like that - post the link here.
It's more than just this game - TIR should not become a monopoly.
I thought ARMA 2 should be highly customizable why HID should be any different?
Edited by desertowl on 30/06/2009 at 20h21.
Zaphod #45 01/07/2009 - 02h52

Registered on : 29/04/2009

Off line

I don't understand how a developer claiming to be entirely neutral has absolutely no misgivings about their software being used by others to sell product at the exclusion of all else!
Edited by Zaphod on 01/07/2009 at 02h59.

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Freetrack doesnt work in Armed Assault 2!!

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).