FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : Forum Francophone > Le café de FreeTrack... > Le simulateur de vol à voile Condor : présentation...

RSS >  Le simulateur de vol à voile Condor : présentation...
didja #1 13/09/2007 - 21h40

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Bonsoir à tous !

Sur le site francophone dédié à Condor ( http://www.condorsim.fr ), une nouvelle page de présentation du simu vient d'être réalisée.

Appuyée de superbes images, on y découvre en quelques minutes les particularités de Condor...

Je vous conseille aussi la sélection de vidéos indiquée en fin de page.

Pour info, c'est Annie/Lean qui a principalement rédigé les textes !  :wink:

http://www.condorsim.fr/presentation.htm

Posted Image
(image condorsim.fr)

Bonne visite !

Rémy  :wink:

PS : Condor est bien sûr compatible FreeTrack ! : D
Posted Image
babasior #2 03/10/2007 - 17h02

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

Mais que c'est beau ...

http://www.condorsim.fr/

Mais pourquoi diable on ne le trouve pas en boutique ...
didja #3 03/10/2007 - 19h29

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

Tu ne crois pas si bien dire, il est prévu une sortie en version boite très bientôt ! Peut être même le 5 octobre ! :)

Posted Image

Rémy
Edited by didja on 03/10/2007 at 19h45.
Posted Image
deeruss #4 03/10/2007 - 19h47

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 15/09/2007

Off line

Est-il geré en 6 axes ?

Spoiler(freetrack addicted)
didja #5 03/10/2007 - 20h09

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

Malheureusement, non... :wacko: Seulement 2DOF...

Mais bon, dans un planeur on est bien harnaché au fond du siège... ^^

Rémy
Posted Image
deeruss #6 03/10/2007 - 20h40

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 15/09/2007

Off line

C'est pas faux!
babasior #7 04/10/2007 - 15h59

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

Et en la matière de Didga, c'est un vrai pilote qui te le dit ... et ça non plus c'est pas faux  :p
DPLUIGI #8 02/02/2008 - 20h08

Class : Beta Tester
Registered on : 04/01/2008

Off line

Hi There,

I am an ex-glider pilot and until I can get back into it and be able to afford it,   I am loving Condor and just built my first 3 IR-LED setup (cap) using FreeTRack.  Thanks for such a great program.  I am unemployed at the moment so TrackIR is not in my tight budget.  Besides, lots of time it is fun to tinker with FreeTrack.

It seems working.  I used the recommended IR LED SFH485P,  mounted in series with a current limited to 20-21mA.  The effective angle seems to cover around +/- 40 degree of lateral movement - but I need to measure.
With my IR modded camera (using a floppy disk filter in place of the IR filter)  I get 30fps solid and a jitter of 8 in either 640x480 and 352x288 resolution.  I use the lower resolution for minimum system usage on my Pentium Celeron M 1.6GHz Toshiba Laptop.

My problem is that it feels very sensitive and my head view seems to be too responsive, with difficulty to go back or hold a straight ahead view.  I often over shoot the center/straight ahead position.  It looks like a slight roll of the head all produce an induced yaw.  I am experiencing a lot of induced pilot head movements (i.e. similar to "pilot induced oscillation" when over correcting when flying on the elevator), which makes flying very difficult.  It also feels that small movement of the head scales up to big view movement in the display.

I am playing with the profile parameters and the curve parameters and it is still a little confusing what each parameter effectively does and the trade off in adjusting them concurrently.

I am wondering if you could give me your default parameters on your profile/curve set-up which works for you as a starting point.

Is it also possible that it takes a little time to get used to this interface before feeling comfortable and the responsivity curve and parameters are not the problem?

When this is tuned I'll tackle IL-2 1946 profile, which I just discovered and play online with a friend - it's a different fun.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions,
Donat-Pierre
Edited by DPLUIGI on 02/02/2008 at 22h10.
babasior #9 04/02/2008 - 10h39

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

Hi,

Try to use "rfactor 3 dots" profile for condor and turn off unwanted axis by disable them (uncheck box)...

Didja is the best contact for condor freetrack used ... Try to contact him ...

Is Handbook help you ?
DPLUIGI #10 05/02/2008 - 16h42

Off line

Thanks for the suggestion Babasior.  I also sent an MP to Didja/Remy.  The handbook helped defining what each parameter does.  A little something about the trade-offs like I read on some threads by Kestrel and general recommendation on to how to use them together would help.  But hey, what would be the fun if there wasn't a little experimentation and a learning curve.  The problem is that when troubleshooting some issues I think I got myself confused with all parameters one can change at once and fell into a multivariate mess?!

Make good progress.  I am meeting a friend online for an hour on IL2 this evening.  He is very interested in FreeTrack for himself.  We'll get together to look at my setup and start working on his.  It's the Freetrack revolution.  Later, I do a task with Condor in Switzerland or something "pittoresque".

A bientot,

Donat
Edited by DPLUIGI on 05/02/2008 at 16h51.
didja #11 05/02/2008 - 16h51

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

Hello  Donat !

I have just sent you the second part of the answer by PM... I'm sorry for the answer in 2 parts... ^^

If you don't know it yet, check http://forum.condorsoaring.com which is a great place for Condor pilots ! ;)

Good flights !

Rémy
Posted Image
DPLUIGI #12 05/02/2008 - 17h21

Off line

Hi Remy,

Thanks for the replies.  This helped.  Between you and Babasior I am getting a good handle on adjusting the profile for Condor.  I also found two IL2 profiles posted on FT forum that I can use as example for Condor, which only use 2DOF (picth/yaw).

Yes, Condor forum is a great too.  I looked through the Condor forum for a profile (*.fgp file) and could not find one. I read through a 8 pages long thread which did give a couple pointers too.

Regarding Rfactor 3d, the version 2.1 of FT comes with Rfactor 4dots and Rfactor within the Default Profile.  This Default Profile as its name implies is a generic profile which is the same for all games under the Default folder of the Profile menu.  Is there a repository of user FT profiles for different games?  It'd help the newbies like me.

On a side note, I saw cool pictures and video on your webpage.  Congrats on first solo flights last Summer.  Mine was about ten years ago in North Wales when I did my PhD in England.

Good luck with school, the BAC is next year right?   :)  :)
A+
Donat

p.s.:  I can write in French too it is way quicker to write in English and it makes the post readable for the international FT user community.
didja #13 05/02/2008 - 17h57

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

No worries about writing in english, I think it's quite interesting to read something in english ! :) Besides, it helps me to improve my language ! Since this forum has been started, I'm sure my english has been significantly improved !

I would like to thank you for the comment about my webpage ! :) My first solo flight was great ! Indeed, it surely was one of the most exciting and beautiful moments in my whole life !!!

Unfortunetaly, I have not flown that much since last summer... Autumn wasn't really funny because of the weather and I let you imagine how it was on winter... I just hope I could fly for the first time in 2008 on next week-end...

In addition, I have received lot of money from the federation. Young pilots are given about 800 euros as they get the BBP (brevet de pilote de planeur) ! But I'm really impatient about april holidays ! A friend of mine and myself will fly during one week at the Pic-St-Loup base ! It's the most amazing place within 200km ! There, we will be taught the distance flight and all the stuff ! Once again, the ferderation pay us this training course ! Sounds great, isn't ?

What kind of glider have you flown ? I have heard about gliding in Great Britain and it seems to be great also... I'm curious and I was wondering what would be the meaning of "PhD" ? :) :)

I plan to have a flight to London next summer. I would stay there for one month (in July) and I'am going to try to get a job as a waiter. Maybe I could visit some airfields around London... :D ^^

Rémy
Edited by didja on 05/02/2008 at 17h58.
Posted Image
DPLUIGI #14 05/02/2008 - 20h02

Off line

Hi Remy,

Not to worry.  It is winter now and yo'll get back into your flying in no time.  Besides, is round the corner. It looks like you are learning quick and have great flying opportunities coming up.  If you stay in England next summer and wants to try flying there look up the BGA (British Gliding Association) website.
www.gliding.co.uk
Also, there are some very good books in English by Derek Piggott, who flies in Lasham which might be near London but I am not sure.  He is a famous pilot in England.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Piggott

By the way I am French but I am an expat since 1993.  I lived in the UK for six years and in the US since 1999.  I learned to fly while doing my Ph.D ("These") in Physical Chemistry/Quantum Chemistry at UMIST, which is now part of Manchester University.  There was a Gliding Club at the University and flew mostly in North Wales (near Denby, if I remember correctly) and sometimes near Birmingham.  I was part of the first few members, an ecclectic group of student, very interbational.  Here is the club as it was revived nowadays:  http://www.umsu.manchester.ac.uk/gliding/

The one and two seater gliders I flew on were not high performance but good school glider the K13, K6 from the top of my mind.  The main launch technique was winch, which was also the cheapest.  With ridge soaring often available nearby and modest thermal and the occasional wave soaring it was good enough.

I live now in Las Vegas, at least for the time being.  There is a great venue to go flying year round at Jean airport 45min south of Vegas.  I just got married and am not allowed to work until my status is adjusted - so I am too broke to even think of going flying but when my finance will allow me and we are still in the region, I'd like to go there and get back into it.  Besides, powerful thermals there is a lot of wave soaring to do here since it is surrounded by mountains in all direction.

Your are lucky, when I started to look into learning to fly in France I was already 20-21 and not eligible to those great scholarship ("bourse").  Make the most of it.  At least with the Manchester University Gliding club you could get a good long flight or three short flights in the afternoon for 20GBP at the time.

I must get going.  Talk to you soon,
Donat-Pierre

p.s.: Ph.D. stands for philosophy doctorate, I think.  It is a little dated, since my "These: was in physics mostly and not philosophy.  Similarly BSc stand for  bachelor of science, the undergrad diploma in the UK, US (i.e. Deug in France).
didja #15 06/02/2008 - 13h59

Webmaster (admin)

Off line Www

Hey ! :)

Thank you so much for the links ! I would be able to find a club close to London ! I have read the Derek Piggott's biography and he seems to be quite amazing !!!

Then you are french ? :) I didn't think you would have loose your french within 15 years. I mean, I didn't think it would be easier to write in english after this time :) But I do prefer to read in english, then feel free to write in this language ! ;) I didn't want to be badly behaved saying this, I'm sorry... :unsure: Do you know Danny ? He's an expat also. He wanted to become pilot in France and he couldn't succeed because of some medical restrictions... He went to USA 12 years ago (or something like that) and he's now captain flying on B767 ! You should read his blog... it's quite great and famous here : http://piloteus.journalintime.com !

Yesterday, I chatted with a Hungarian, a Breseilian, an Indian and an Algerian trough Skype ! It was really great ! I thinks it's so great to speak with people from other side of the Earth just by speaking english ! I have a new friend who lives in Sydney... I must not have known her without this international language...

Flying with youngs during university years would have been great !!! And 20GBP a flight is really that cheap... Here, in my club, we don't have a winch because of the (grass) runway which is too short... We have to use a motor plane (a Morane-Saulnier Rallye.... I guess there are not much of those in USA !!! :) ).

The K13 is still quite common. I have not flown on but some friends who are in an other club have. They love it ! I have just flown two seats glider yet... But I will fly on Pegase (I love it, it's really great !) and during my course, I'll fly a Twin Astir (don't know it but it seems to be cool...).

It would be really great if you could fly in your place ! I'm sure the thermals are really spectaculars ! Besides, wave flights over there must be tremendous also... Please, if you fly there, would you want to send me some photographs ? ^^ I would like to become an aircarrier pilot then I hope I could fly gliders everywhere accross the planet ! :D :lol:

Have a good day (or sleep ^^ ) !

Rémy
Posted Image

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : Forum Francophone > Le café de FreeTrack... > Le simulateur de vol à voile Condor : présentation...

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).