FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Adapting existing LED devices.
cadcoke4 #1 03/10/2008 - 11h44

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 13/08/2008

Off line

I was in a Dollar store the other day, and saw a number of LED type flashlights. One was a clip-on book light,with a wire about 6" long that the actual bulb was in.  It looked like you could purchase 3 of these, and clip them onto a hat brim.  Perhaps better would be to buy 3, but clip off two of the stalks, and put them together onto one clip.

There were also smaller clip-on items that might simply be glued onto the sides of a set of safety glasses.

There were two problems with all of these;

#1, All used tiny batteries that are fast to run down, and too costly.  I think this can be addressed by purchasing a battery pack and wiring it to the flashlights. If the lights used 2 button-cell batteries, then there were 2-cell AA flashlights also at the dollar store that could be used.  The 3-cell type would probably require a trip to Radio Shack to get the appropriate holder.

#2, They are visible LED's, not Infrared. I know Johnny Lee purchased a set of glasses that already had the button-cell type LED lights on it.  He said he swapped out the LED's for IR ones.  But, he didn't go into detail.

this item #1 would be the biggest challenge. The flashlights are not really designed for disassembly like old fashioned flashlights.  Also, the current and voltage requirements of the existing LED is unknown.  So, whether it would provide the correct  One could measure it with a meter, but if you know how to do that, you don't need the pre-made approach, and would probably be better off starting from scratch.

But, if anyone has pursued this, then please post the details for others to follow.

Joe Dunfee

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).