FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Help with calculations, Any help is appreciated.
cam381 #1 01/09/2008 - 01h54

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 01/09/2008

Off line

I would like to know if anyone else has used AAs or AAAs as their power source. If you have, how do you do the calculation in the calculator. It does not ask for type of battery, only what kind of battery(batteries, regulated, etc.) and how does the calc know what the AMPs are if not the Voltage. I am wondering because I don't know what resistor to get. I apologize if I am tough to understand, but any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
tristan68 #2 02/09/2008 - 00h01

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

Hello Cam381

It does not ask for type of battery, only what kind of battery

Correct.
It doesn't need to know the battery model , only its output voltage and kind (since we have to adjust values in some cases)

Just provide the output voltage of your batteries pack (ie : a 4 cells NiMh or NiCd battery pack will output 4.8v....)

what the AMPs are

:blink:  :blink:  I don't undertand this question.

You have to provide the current you want to inject in your leds (led forward current input)

I am wondering because I don't know what resistor to get

Well, the resistor is the result.

begin by telling us :
- is your webcam a stock webcam, or an IR modded webcam ?
- How many cells do you have in your batteries pack ?
- what battery model ? std or alcaline (1.5v per cell) , or rechargeable (1.2v per cell) ?
- what leds do you plan to use, and what are their characteristics ?

The resistor can be calculated once you have those informations.

cya
cadcoke4 #3 02/09/2008 - 16h57

Registered on : 13/08/2008

Off line

In case you were confused about the amps [Or Amp-hours] that the battery can provide, a set of AA or even AAA should be able to provide plenty of amperage.

To help you understand, to use water as an analogy, Amperage is comparable to how many gallons per second of flow.  Voltage is comparable to water pressure.

How big a battery is would be comparable to how big a bucket of water you have.

LED lights are more complicated than tungsten light bulbs, because they will allow as much electricity through as you allow them to... so much so, that if you connect them directly to a battery, they will self destruct... even if the voltage is correct.

Regarding resistor choice.  The calculator on this web site gives you a precise value, but you will not normally find the exact value.  Instead you have to go with the next largest value you can find.  Here is a web site that automatically does that for you.  It also gives you more information about LED's; http://led.linear1.org/

Joe Dunfee
tristan68 #4 03/09/2008 - 23h31

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

Regarding resistor choice.  The calculator on this web site gives you a precise value, but you will not normally find the exact value.  Instead you have to go with the next largest value you can find.

Not true.

If you use the led wizard , you'll see it ALSO suggests the appropriate resistor in the most usual values.

You can grab the value provided by the wizard and directly go to your nearest radio shack to get the resistor.

The 1st version also provided the resistor value in several series (E12,E24 series) , but it confused people so i dropped this function.
cadcoke4 #5 08/09/2008 - 11h32

Registered on : 13/08/2008

Off line

Sorry, I overlooked that additional feature.

hanks for the program. Even though I know how to calculate the stuff myself, it is very nice to have it automated for me.

Joe Dunfee

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).