FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Odd FPS Activity with VX3000
amgsport #1 19/03/2008 - 02h11

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 12/03/2008

Off line

This isn't so much a problem, as I'm getting good response at current FPS levels, but it is odd.  I grabbed a VX3000 for my FreeTrack project.  Cam works great, although avg FPS is in 23-24 range with jitter at 7-10.  All cam settings dialed-in for FreeTrack use.  No problems in-game, just expected FPS to be higher.

Yesterday, with no hdwr changes or adjustments to cam settings, FPS increased to 29-30 with jitter at 20-25.  Jitter seemed high, but the increased FPS did produce noticeably better tracking.  Things stayed at higher FPS range for approx 2hrs then returned to lower range.  Now when I start FreeTrack FPS will start at 29-30 but adjusts down to the 23-24 range in about 4sec.

I've tried to find reason for this but no luck.  FPS increase tells me the headroom is there... and I'd like to have it back!!  Any suggestions?  Cam is only hitting proc with 9-11% load so I doubt its hdwr bottleneck.  Maybe a VX3000 or FreeTrack config tweak??  Thanks for the help.
fullperception #2 20/03/2008 - 15h40

Registered on : 20/03/2008

Off line Mail Www

I too just bought the VX-3000 and was pleased to try out 1 LED for the first time. Exciting! I too noticed that my fps was originally at 20 and then went to 24. At one point i had aimed the camera at a lamp in the room and turned the threshold way down and noticed that the fps changed to 30, but then went down to 20-24 a few seconds later. Jitter was just on the edge of 7-9. I haven't tried the floppy disk or negative film trick but will sometime this week.
Since I'm at work I can't try more things out right now but last night I did look into 'msconfig' through Run and noticed that the camera installation had placed two entries into the startup list. These could be rubbish start-ups that only get the cam ready for use. Perhaps you could try disabling these startup items and rebooting. Let me know if you do. I happen to use a very selective startup as to disable the unneeded programs from running in the background. There is a good website out there that helps you identify every item listed.

Cheers!
Chris
Justify #3 06/07/2009 - 09h36

Registered on : 04/07/2009

Off line

Hi guys, I've just completed my FreeTrack camera conversion of my VX3000. I'm using IR LEDs, removed the IR filter and use a floppy disk platter to cover.

Works very well - the IR dots show clearly.

I'm getting 20FPS with 0 Jitter and 3 greendots. I'd like to get 30Fps, but I too can't seem to figure out why it's being limited? I have a Logitech STX which I've tried on the same hardware and get a constant 30fps with 2jitter.

So I doubt it's the hardware (2Ghz Core2 due, 2GB Ram).

Anyone have an idea?

Things I've tried so far:

- checked for any other webcam software running
- remove all other USB deviced
- disabled auto exposure
- set USB bandwidth to 8 (7 default)
- set black and white mode
- set resolution to 160x120
Justify #4 07/07/2009 - 12h50

Registered on : 04/07/2009

Off line

To continue:

After the last post I made, I too the webcam home, connected to the same machine, and now I'm hitting 30FPS with 0-6 jitter.

Only thing that I can think it is, it one of those changes I made, with a reboot thrown in, or the background at home is much darker than at my office.

:)

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).