FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Webcam calibration?
kampf #1 04/04/2012 - 20h35

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 25/02/2012

Off line

Hi all.
I'm a happy user of FreeTrack from almost 2 months now.
BTW There's a part of the configuration that I never touched because I don't know what to set: CAM Calibration.
In the manual it states that it's an important part of all the configuration because it "scales depth to real world units"
These parameters are Sensor width and Focal Length. The "Auto" checkbox is greyed out for me.
Does anyone happened to have configured them? Where I can get those data from?
I own a Logitech Quickcam C120 with removed IR filter.
Thanks.
Steph #2 05/04/2012 - 07h49

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

If your system run, don't change anything.

In the manual it states that it's an important part of all the configuration because it "scales depth to real world units"

Where did you find that? :blink:
kampf #3 05/04/2012 - 19h19

Off line

Thanks 4 the answer.
Open FreeTrack, About, How To, go to Paramétrage du système:
"L’onglet Calibration : permet d’améliorer la mesure de profondeur (et donc par la même occasion la précision du tracking (Suivi) et la bonne détection des points vis-à-vis de leur positionnement dans un espace donné)."

Btw if you press "help" instead of "How To", in the other guide you'll find:
"Calibration
If the camera sensor width and focal length parameters are known, they can be used to calibrate the depth measurement to real-world millimetres. This can improve the accuracy of the model position controls which has the potential to reduce unwanted translation during rotation.
Auto calibration is available for the demo video, Wiimote and some Optitrack cameras, in which case it is enabled by default and simply uses known default parameters for those cameras. Auto calibration can be disabled if better parameters are known. Parameters are usually listed in the camera's technical documentation, if unavailable it may be possible to measure them manually or estimate using maths or trial and error. This is what was done with the Wiimote as it doesn't have any relevant, publicly available, documentation and the lens and sensor are in a self-contained unit that cannot be accessed.
The sensor height is not required because the sensor pixels are assumed to be square, which is a good approximation in most cases. "

My system runs fine now, but I was wondering if it could even run better  :)
e47a0zTW #4 06/04/2012 - 03h29

Registered on : 06/04/2012

Off line

Steph #5 06/04/2012 - 12h40

Class : Moderator
Registered on : 16/11/2007

Off line

Open FreeTrack, About, How To, go to Paramétrage du système:
"L’onglet Calibration : permet d’améliorer la mesure de profondeur (et donc par la même occasion la précision du tracking (Suivi) et la bonne détection des points vis-à-vis de leur positionnement dans un espace donné)."

Ok, I see. It's not in the download handbook but in the program. That's why I missed it.

To be honest, I don't even give a try to this option. I have only set some "Orientation" adjustments, that eliminates unwanted movements mainly with
3-point-clip.
I don't even know how to find this cam-specs. Typical sensor sizes for camera phones and webcams are 1/6".

My system runs fine now, but I was wondering if it could even run better

A significant improvement would be higher frames with PS3-Eye or Wii-mote.
kampf #6 11/04/2012 - 22h55

Off line

I tried a Wii Mote just before destroying my webcam IR filter  :dev:
but it kept losing bluetooth connection so i gave up.  :(

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

2 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 2 guest(s)).