FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  setup troubles.
startrekmike #1 01/01/2012 - 07h36

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 27/12/2011

Off line

So I built a three point clip and have the camera setup and everything is running pretty well, I just have one problem.

When I move my head, it seems like the pivot point is in the wrong place and when I turn my head left, the whole skull moves forward (a lot) and if I roll my head, I get a strong upward or downward movement.

I am not sure how else to explain it, it is like it is tracking the clip on the right side of my head but I don't know how to set it up so that I can turn my head left or right without a strong forward or backward movement, rolling is also useless when the whole head rolls in a upward or downward movement as opposed to to just a roll to the left or right.

I am using a 3 LED clip and the "R" is in the middle on the model tab in the software, any ideas?

*Edit*

What I think I need at this point is a very clear explanation of the steps one has to take when they complete the LED clip and start the program for the first time, I have no idea how to make this thing work well, I know it can be done but I simply do not know how.

so what did you all do to make all the head movements match, what settings should I use as a baseline to work from (the defaults do not work at all.)

I am at the end of my rope here, I know this is a good product but I feel like a idiot because when I turn my head it also moves my head forward (zooming the view in the games) and if I try to twist my head, it just kinda rolls up as opposed to just rolling from side to side.

hopefully I can get this working okay, I know my LED's are working fine, everything is showing up okay, I just don't know how to adjust the software.

(I did read the manual.)

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Edited by startrekmike on 01/01/2012 at 10h01.
shesakillatwo #2 24/01/2012 - 16h25

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 22/01/2012

Off line

I too built a 3 LED clip and experienced some odd movements which did not seem right.  Look at this thread and the reference to the "Model Position".   These are setting which I believe compensate for the fact that the clip position is not in the center of your head at the actual pivot point for your head movements.  They calculate a 3d offest position which is used in the Freetrack calculations that determine where your head iis at any instant.  Obviously I would not want to drill holes in my head and put the clip in the center so I think this is a good and necessary idea!

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=3102

The settings are available on the "Setup" tab ( I think that is what the Tab is named) and I believe only appear when you select the 3 LED Clip model.

I played with this a bit last night and got things working quite a bit better and more like I would expect them to work.  This was not explicitly explained anywhere that I could find.  It was kinda a trial and error effort.

After setting this, I moved onto adjusting the other options like Senestivity, Smoothing, Curves etc, to find the best mix for me.  I suspect this varies a little bit for each person though some good basic advice or "rule of thumb" information would probably make this a bit easier for folks.  I would suspect some folks have abandonded Freetrack Efforts simply because it is not intuative to them and they could not get it to work (or behave) as they would expect.

Hope this helps.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).