FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  FT doesn't feed ingame
mireazma #1 02/09/2011 - 22h26

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 10/11/2009

Off line

It appears that FT is very sensitive to Windows display management.
Sometimes the skull shows up, other times it doesn't.
Sometimes FT just freezes and can't press "stop".
Sometimes after pressing "start" the button stays on "start".
In a dual monitor config if I drag the FT window onto the secondary monitor it freezes.
Sometimes the skull updates at long intervals like 7-8 seconds even not updating at all, while the camera display works.
I get all sort of random access violations.

TBH half of the FT shut downs were by Task Manager termination.
I posted all the bugs I encountered so the developers maybe would find a common cause and hopefully with one code edit eliminate all of them.

Nevertheless no bug impedes me to use FT in a game but the following two:

1. When I tried to actually put it to work with a game either it froze or simply wouldn't process the camera feed. Man I've been trying all day to sort this out:
I start capturing and minimize FT.
I run the game, any game, and I see no response from FT.
I quit the game and restore FT to check with it
FT is totally unresponsive and I have to force terminate it.
OR
the camera display is not a processed display but the bare webcam output and is still running; the skull is unfed.

This happens with fullscreen games. While wandering in Windows FT does its job, in office applications: the mouse is controlled by FT. Even inside 3D games menus. But once inside the action of the game, at rendering time, it happens like described. It has to be related to DirectX or something.

2. The other issue is the keyboard output: it doesn't work in any circumstances except for the FT itself, where I can see the buttons being pressed/deperssed.
These hapen regardless of the no of monitors used.

I'm using Windows XP SP3 x86 CPU AMD Athlon 64 x2 @ 2200 MHz 4 GB RAM reported only 3.21 GeForce GT 440 512 MB RAM

Any ideas? Can't wait to see it working.

EDIT:
It works in 2.1.2! Both mouse and keyboard but the keys keep setting from left, right, up down to the numpad corresponding keys which I can't use.
Edited by mireazma on 02/09/2011 at 22h49.
mireazma #2 10/09/2011 - 22h14

Off line

Come on guys, I'm trying to use FT in games for some days now. Does it actually work? If it does, then what do I have to do?
The demo video feeds without any problem but when it comes to camera feeding, problem number 1 described above occurs (with bare camera image instead of processed image and not feeding).
I'm using a PS3 eye with an IR LED and Windows XP, nothing out of ordinary.
Somewhere there is a conflict between a 3D application and FT filter, maybe something related to DirectX?

I made my system and I have all installed but my hands are tied and it's like I have done absolutely nothing. Plus I don't have the faintest lead to consider.

Please, help.
least #3 11/09/2011 - 05h16

Registered on : 25/01/2008

Off line

I just wander - did you try to burn in the machine? Things like "I get all sort of random access violations" sounds fishy to me...
I'd try some memory tester at least, plus some CPU and GFX burn in programs to really test the system stability...

Maybe try playing with different GFX drivers, maybe the ones you have are causing those problems...

I'd also try that with only one monitor connected, just to see if it starts working...

And last but not least - if you can lay your hands on a different webcam - it can be the cheapest one around, but it could help you to find out if the PS3 eye doesn't cause problems...

Just some random thoughts, but it could give you an inspiration.
Kind regards,

Michal
mireazma #4 11/09/2011 - 14h28

Off line

Thanks. Any ideas are welcome. I really hate when somebody has to say something but thinks to better shut up :)

I had some issues recently and I ran all sorts of benchmarks and they showed fine, except for the video card which I had to replace. Now I'm 100% sure that my system is stable.
Plus I don't run any intensive apps/games.
The access violations are ignorable, at which time the buttons in FT are messed up, the start button keeps showing start after press etc.

I already tried with 1 monitor -- it's not that I necessarily need 2 monitors, although I'm planning to get another one for a 3 monitor setup.

I'll try with another cam when I'll get one and report back. But there are so many users who have a PS3 eye and they're not complaining.
Edited by mireazma on 11/09/2011 at 14h29.
mireazma #5 12/09/2011 - 16h33

Off line

Today I bought an A4Tech PK-35N especially for testing FreeTrack with another officially supported webcam.
Unfortunately the results are exactly the same. No point to describe them again. I'd add that the access violation when I get out of the game and come back to FreeTrack occurs in module d3d9.dll.
I'm starting to wonder whether TrackIr would have been a better choice, even taking the price into account :unsure:

Is there a chance that the developers take a look at this thread?

Offtopic:
Inside FreeTrack the A4Tech is sensibly more responsive than the PS3 eye! When I will see the results in-game (if I'll ever get there) I'll post a true comparison.
least #6 13/09/2011 - 05h02

Registered on : 25/01/2008

Off line

I suppose you have the latest DX9.c installed right?

Other than that, I'm affraid I'm out of ideas...
By the way, did you tried some older versions? Not sure if this is viable for you, but it might provide a lead to the developers....
Kestrel #7 14/09/2011 - 09h45

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

The reason the A4Tech 30fps camera seems more responsive is the frame rate adjustment in FT 2.2 is manual. You need to go into the frame rate tab and increase the 'Actual webcam FPS' from 30fps to 75fps or 120fps to match the PS3 Eye. The next version won't have this problem.

A few things to try:

Rename D3DX92ab.dll in the FreeTrack root directory to D3DX92ab_.dll so it isn't used. Install this DirectX redist.

Minimize FT to the tray before starting a 3D application.

Pause tracking before starting a game and resume tracking after you are in the 3D part of the game.

Run 3D applications in a window so that the display resolution and refresh rate doesn't change.

Use I420 video format, where available, instead of RGB.

Make sure you are using the PS3 Eye filter fix.

Use FreeTrack 2.1, available on the download page.
albx #8 14/09/2011 - 11h49

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 26/08/2010

Off line

Kestrel @ 14/09/2011 - 11h45 a dit:

The reason the A4Tech 30fps camera seems more responsive is the frame rate adjustment in FT 2.2 is manual. You need to go into the frame rate tab and increase the 'Actual webcam FPS' from 30fps to 75fps or 120fps to match the PS3 Eye. The next version won't have this problem.

A few things to try:

Rename D3DX92ab.dll in the FreeTrack root directory to D3DX92ab_.dll so it isn't used. Install this DirectX redist.

Minimize FT to the tray before starting a 3D application.

Pause tracking before starting a game and resume tracking after you are in the 3D part of the game.

Run 3D applications in a window so that the display resolution and refresh rate doesn't change.

Use I420 video format, where available, instead of RGB.

Make sure you are using the PS3 Eye filter fix.

Use FreeTrack 2.1, available on the download page.

wow... next version? this made my day :D

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).