FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Is development still alive?, Or are we barking up a dead tree?
theangrygimp #1 10/03/2010 - 04h36

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 28/02/2010

Off line

I'm just wandering considering the length of time since the last release, and all the people with the Wii problems(gray start button) don't seem to have any other choice than to use a "pay for" program bluesoleil that some of us can't even use at all. I actually bought the wiimote just for this ($50), and haven't been able to get it to work yet. Have the TrackIR company destroyed this cause of their ridiculously expensive program/IR array loosing buyers? I know that sometimes companies will do dirty things like keep people in court that aren't even doing anything wrong just to financially destroy them, and hope that's not the case here. I really hope that its still being developed, or at least open to be worked on by others (seen people complaining that they couldn't find the source/sdk) if not. Good luck folks..... at least I was able to find glovepie after i found out that freetrack didn't like the default windows stack or my logitech bluetooth adapter's software that ends up with the same result in freetrack(gray start box). I don't understand why programs like glovepie and the others can find and talk to the wiimote just perfectly but this genius(no sarcasm) program can't for some reason.... Here's hoping that things turn out for the best eventually.   :snif:
YYC Contractor #2 12/03/2010 - 07h17

Registered on : 06/12/2009

Off line

Hi, I was wondering the same thing.  I just wanted to jump in here to say that got my wiimote working without issue.  I just bought a bluetooth receiver for my pc.   It came with software.  When I click ABOUT I see "Bluetooth stack for windows by Toshiba".  The receiver with software cost me $20.

Hope that helps.  My issue is it's verrry sluish when running FSX.  Some people have gotten it to work OK with FSX although there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to that one.  I tried a couple things as stated in the forums with no luck.  Apparently the solution is a little *SHHH* because it uses a dll from trackir's software or something??

Anyway the version prior to the latest works better apparently but I can't use as I don't have a webcam and the previous version doesn't support wimote.  It begs the question, should I go buy a webcam just to use with freetrack (with no guarantee that it will work)?  Kind fo defeats the whole purpose of not having to purchase the others guys system.  So my rig sits on a shelf now after I invested MANY hours constructing and experimenting.  I don't use it as FSX was my primary motivation.

I asked and got no response regarding this and other issues and got squat response.  I see the DONATE NOW button and I laff to myself.  If this was still under development or I could use away I would be MORE than content to contribute.   I have seen no response from any 'DEVELOPERS" for some time.   This project is DEAD as far as I'm concerned.  If there are any devs working on this it would make good sense to get this version to work at least as good as the last one.  Then perhaps some $$ might start to come in.

I am very frustrated.  At least if you pay for the other system you have some sort of support channel.
theangrygimp #3 12/03/2010 - 23h09

Off line

People are starting to get some clever scripts written for Glovepie which seems to still be under development, and if you haven't, try glovepie, it will at least give you a reason to have the Wiimote for something. I play some of my First person games with the wiimote using glovepie, and find it fun. I saw someone is working on a steering wheel script with the wiimote. You might be able to use the Wiimote for mouselook purposes, but probably not full 6DOF use yet. I hope the dev's didn't steal any code or illegally use code from the TrackIR software and ended up in court or something. That would be a shame after all the people who invested in a freetrack project, to find out it was for nothing.

I have to question whether its dead or not though, based on the fact that websites like this usually are not free, and the fact that its still running suggests that someone is still investing in the project. But who knows until we get an actual response.
slaver1 #4 16/03/2010 - 10h20

Registered on : 08/02/2010

Off line

Hi guys i found full freetrack source code repository (all version). See other thread.

Last revision:

Revision: 348
Author: nicolas
Date: 21:56:34, 11 february 2010
Start minimize bug fixed

It looks there is still working main developer but why we dont have any info or release for over a year?
slaver1 #5 18/03/2010 - 20h30

Registered on : 08/02/2010

Off line

I write PM to babasior (webmaster) and got reply:

[...] Developpers working on new version ! Yes !
But it's very long ... Freetrack is a free time development !
There are private freetrack team betas working ! Some bugs must to be corrected before release a new "stable" version.
Freetrack application code must be optimized because of "freetrack.exe" file increase and CPU usage too ... It's not easy, and news bugs are introduced and must be solved (because it will be difficult to add new features to freetrack without solved old bugs).
theangrygimp #6 25/05/2010 - 04h44

Off line

That is great to hear. I'm glad its still in development, cause I still really want to get headtracking for my race simulations (RBR, GTR2, RFactor, etc..). I'm guessing my only problem is the compatibility problems with FreeTrack and the default windows bluetooth stack. Its just aggrevating that such a seemingly small issue would cause such a big problem. I guess they don't have enough people working on the project to keep an eye on the forums, or maybe they just don't speak fluent english, and only monitor the french side of the forums. I'm betting its a matter of not enough time. Just would be nice to at least see a banner in the main page or forum header that they know about problems and are working on them. Even just a "were working on it" and "done when its done" would be better than no info at all. Soon as I can use the program, I'll send em' $30 for their trouble (still a lot less than TrackIR costs). Guess I'll keep hoping someone gets a good Glovepie script for headtracking in the meantime, and just use my wiimote as an air mouse for Left for dead2 and such.
didja #7 26/05/2010 - 11h07

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Hi folks !

I'm the webmaster of the FreeTrack website (but not a developper).

One of the developpers (kestrel) as left us last year, so there is only one developper left.

But I can tell you that FreeTrack is not dead at all. The_target, the original developper of FreeTrack is still working on it. But he has a job and a family so he doesn't have much time to work on FreeTrack.

However, he's still working on it and he provides the betatesters with a new beta to test from time to time.

Personally, I'm working hard at university, here in France, so I have virtually no free time I can spend on the forum or working on the website.

Maybe you can ask the_target for further informations using the website contact form : contact form or try to send him a PM : private message. Maybe you can also offer your help (as a betatester or a developper) if you want.

I will post a news on the website's main page to tell the world FreeTrack is not dead !

Thanks for using FreeTrack and for supporting us !

Rémy

PS : And yes, TrackIR/natural point did not really offer to help us...
Edited by didja on 26/05/2010 at 14h43.
Posted Image

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).