FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Sudden jumps that won't go back for a while

RSS >  Sudden jumps that won't go back for a while
Ragman42 #1 22/06/2009 - 15h29

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 19/06/2009

Off line

FreeTrack 2.2.0.279
Win7b-64
iRacing
Wii Remote
Azio BTD-V201 Bluetooth adapter
Toshiba Bluetooth stack 5.10.15
Cap 3-point with RL5-IR2730 27mW/sr, 30°, 945 nm LEDs w/ dome filed flat. Black tape around the LED cylinder sides.

I get a high amount of jitter. A high smoothing helps with that, but I'll get times when the Y axis seems to jump a large amount and then stays there for a time, finally popping back to normal. It only seems to happen when I'm in iRacing, not looking at the skull, but it's hard to mimic the same movements when I'm not actually driving. Threshold is all the way down with no extraneous light sources showing.

I only care about 3-axis translation, not rotation, so I have all rotation axis turned to 0. I have triplescreens, so I'm only going for the 3D immersion effect, not additional view.

Thanks for any help.
Ragman42 #2 27/06/2009 - 01h16

Off line

So I had the remote and cap on the floor just sitting there while I drove around a little, just to see if head movement was causing the issue or if it was something else. The screen stayed nice and steady for the most part (I found the averaging option), but after a bit, it jumped in the +Y direction and stayed there. I guess it's not in my 3-point setup. *sigh*
mrclean816 #3 27/06/2009 - 03h30

Registered on : 18/06/2009

Off line

I'm not an expert but I can maybe give you some things to think about.
You want to make sure your cam is absolutely still.   You don't want it shaking around.
Also with the freetrack thing enabled make sure you select your set up.   Make sure its tracking 3 dots and not 2 or 4 or 5.
Also make sure your batteries are fully charged.
When they are uncharged sometimes it has trouble keeping track of your leds at an angle.
The biggest thing is to make sure your led setup stays in the same position on your head and doesn't shift.
And again make sure your cam/wiimote stays perfectly still and doesn't move or your tracking will be off.
Ragman42 #4 02/07/2009 - 14h06

Off line

Thanks for the reply!

Good ideas. I tried it with the remote and cap sitting perfectly still on the floor and it still jumped, but I'll make sure the batteries are full.

The jump is pretty drastic, and acts like I lift the cap several inches for a few moments to a few minutes, then put the cap back down, so losing a light might be it. I tried covering each one with my hand to see if it would jump and it didn't, so who knows. Stuff like this can be hard to troubleshoot.
Ragman42 #5 06/07/2009 - 16h12

Off line

Just an FYI in case anyone else runs into this. A fellow iRacer suggested I turn off the auto-orientation of the Wii remote, and that seems to have done the trick!

>  Fast reply

FreeTrack Forum > FreeTrack : English Forum > Support : FreeTrack Software > Sudden jumps that won't go back for a while

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).