FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  Webcam on ASUS M51 laptop, Will this work?
Yiro #1 13/06/2009 - 22h20

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 13/06/2009

Off line

Hello everybody,

I've been thinking about using your software for Lock On FC but I'm not sure about my webcam.
I've got a ASUS M51 laptop with integrated webcam.

When i go into the "stream" option in freetrack, I only have I420 and YUY2. (I read somewhere that YUY2 is not compatible with freetrack, what about I420? Is there anything I can do?)

Moreover, when I start the webcam in a dark room, fps only go to 15. Do I have to change some options so those will raise to 30?

I thank you for your help!

Yiro
Yiro #2 14/06/2009 - 13h25

Off line

Found my old logitech quickcam communicate stx.

It is said that those cams cannot control exposure but that there is a "force exposure" option in freetrack which I cannot find.
Because even with this logitech my fps don't go to 30...
Yiro #3 14/06/2009 - 19h16

Off line

IR filter out of the quickcam, and i put some photo negatives on it.

But still, when I aim it to the wall, 14 fps.
Once I aim it to my window it raises to 28.

Shouldn't it be the contrary? ^^
MrRocketShooZ #4 16/06/2009 - 23h19

Class : Habitué
Registered on : 26/10/2008

Off line

In bright light FPS will increase. In dim light it will decrease.

This is because in dim light the sensor needs to be exposed longer to receive enoguh light to build an image. When there is lots of light it doesn't take long to collect enough, allowing for a higher framerate.

When using freetrack, you want to force under-exposure so everything is dark except the LEDs. You don't want to give the sensor enough light to build an image, just enough to see the LEDs clearly (that's why you use the negative film etc, to darken everything but the LEDs).

If you press "camera" in Freetrack the camera properties box should open, and it should contain an exposure setting. Keep lowering this until you get 30 FPS, the LEDs come through clearly and everything else is dark. If the box to enable it is greyed out, download Vista enabler (or XP equivalent for XP, you can get it from the Freetrack website) and run that. It should let you tick the box.

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).