FreeTrack Forum

Welcome, you're not connected. ( Log in - Register )

RSS >  My new 3 point tracking assembly, compact and simple to build
zaelu #1 18/01/2008 - 19h26

Class : Apprenti
Registered on : 29/09/2007

Off line

Ok people. I finally managed to build my new 3 point tracking system for Freetrack.

First... what are the materials.

- Find near you (or build one from scratch) a sort of  head band or "bandana" with cutaways made from elastic band used for clothes. Something like trousers suspensors... :) can be used for building it I recommend black color cause it isn't reflecting parasiting light.

It should look like this at first:

Posted Image

Don't panic if you don't understand right away what it is... next pictures will clarify it... I don't find a name for it even in my native language (romanian) :D but, pictures speak a thousand words.

- Two old analog audio wires from which you cut the heads with the connectors out. Use only two wires if they have more than that. The other wires dispose them by carefully releasing the pin holders from the connectors using a sharp tool (like small screwdriver, needle, cutter) and pulling them out. You might need to to the same with the two you will actually use as you need to move them to the inner "tunnels" so the LEDs will fit perfectly. The 4th connector head is used as resistor holder and the outer "tunnels" are to be used.

Posted Image

Using this "tool" I made holes into the side "tunnels" of the connectors so they can be easily sewed to the head band. This way the LEDs will be locked into position.

This is how one LED holder looks after being sewed to the head band:

Posted Image

This is the resistor holder with its inner holes

Posted Image

- A switch is needed to turn on/off the device. I used a standard PC Power switch with the protruding edges paper-sanded off and with some additional holes in the lower part so I can sew it too on that head band.

Posted Image

- One resistor
- One 9V battery/accumulator holder (if you plan to use a 9V source)
here with the switch in the same picture:

Posted Image

After some work... the place starts to look like this:

Posted Image

And finishes like this:

Posted Image
oops... that is my head actually...

And some detail pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And...

Posted Image

The result is very satisfying. I finally switched from 4 LEDs to 3 LEDs and from 2.0 to 2.1 version of freetrack. No more LEDs overlapping. Very small size and very portable... I can go through the house with it on the head without being afraid not to hit something and the return to my missions with my squad without having to put it back on the head and arrange it.

Although the distance between the LEDs is very small (~ 5cm) I don't need to enter those exact values in the Freetrack setup... the default are OK.

I will try to post a small movie too, filmed from my back :)
didja #2 18/01/2008 - 20h53

Webmaster (admin)
Class : Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Wow !!!

I have to think about that... it's the only word I'm able to say right now ! lol

Wow !!!

Rémy
Posted Image
zaelu #3 18/01/2008 - 21h41

Off line

I'm glad you like it :)

Here is a small video made with it (over the shoulder)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mx2D3CVEew

Please note that I am just starting to use 2.1 version and I still have some fine tuning to make to its curves.
Edited by zaelu on 18/01/2008 at 21h42.
didja #4 18/01/2008 - 22h21

Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 09/07/2007

Off line Www

Hey, even the video is great !!! And what a cockpit !

Rémy :lol:
Posted Image
Kestrel #5 19/01/2008 - 03h17

Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

And a good sense of humour.  ^^
tristan68 #6 19/01/2008 - 14h39

Electronicien en chef
Class : Electronicien en chef
Registered on : 10/07/2007

Off line

An only word comes in my mind :

GREAT !!

Don't forget to put it off if your doorbell rings or one day, your postman will think you're nuts :p

Thumbs up, nice work !  :D
Jazzer #7 19/01/2008 - 23h41

Registered on : 10/11/2007

Off line

Nice work, what is the game you are playing in the video please? I thought it was IL2 but then I saw the pilot run from the plane so I'm not sure now.
Cheers,
J :)
Kestrel #8 20/01/2008 - 04h17

Webmaster (admin)
Registered on : 13/07/2007

Off line

Jazzer @ 20/01/2008 - 00h41 a dit:

I thought it was IL2 but then I saw the pilot run from the plane so I'm not sure now.

You can do that in IL2, in fact I recall spending most of my time in IL2 running from damaged planes...   :p
zaelu #9 20/01/2008 - 09h42

Off line

Yep, is IL-2... runing from crashed planes should be the first thing to learn in this game... after crashing on take Off .

There is another small video on youtube made by me which is an "Ode" to this very useful thing... running after surviving a crash. Is called "luck favors the fools" :) .

I painted yesterday the wires in black with a permanent marker so now I can respond to my doorbell without fearing I could scare people away :D . It also looks more "product like"...
Edited by zaelu on 20/01/2008 at 09h44.
Jazzer #10 21/01/2008 - 22h53

Registered on : 10/11/2007

Off line

Thanks mate.
Wow, I never knew you could run from the plane like that. I'm going to have to try that now, lol.
J :)
Fu®io #11 22/12/2008 - 11h31

Registered on : 19/12/2008

Off line

Sorry, but with this assembly, your Z pan axis (zoom in/out) work or not work? In your video on Youtube I saw that for zoom you use a button and not a movement of the head...

>  Fast reply

>  Stats

1 user(s) connected during the last 10 minutes (0 member(s) and 1 guest(s)).